Tuesday, June 11, 2013

"Golden Rule" of Business Conduct

This blog has made me start looking into the news more often. Just yesterday, I read an article on the Better Business Bureau about a "Golden Rule" of business conduct. The Golden Rule consisted of something called the "Four Way Test." This test proved to create a climate of trust around the dealers, customers, and employees, and improved the company's reputation by avoiding puffery and false statements.

The questions asked were:

  • Is it the truth?
  • Is it fair to all concerned?
  • Will it build goodwill and better friendships? and, 
  • Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
As of today, this Four Way Test is the guideline for ethical business practices in many companies. The article spoke about whether a company could afford good business ethics, and it proved that many companies could. However, the author, Holly Doering, also put out an interesting thought - business can't afford to NOT do the right thing. What do you think? Can a business have good ethical practices without sacrificing anything else?

8 comments:

  1. I know the business ethics has its issues today. I believe a business can have good ethical practices without really sacrificing much, and I do think that businesses can't afford to not do the right thing. The "Golden Rule" seems like a good way for companies to really see if what they're doing is ethical or not. All companies should abide by the "Golden Rule."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew about the "Golden Rule." It is a really good thing for businesses. I think it's important for businesses to be ethical, otherwise the company won't be liked or trusted. I agree that businesses can't afford to not do the right thing. There's too much at risk to do the wrong thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you informed us about the "Golden Rule." That is a really good thing for businesses. I agree with what you said, and there is too much risk and not enough reward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually learned about this because I took a class in business ethics. I know it can be hard because, even in our daily lives we are faced with situations where we aren't sure if we are doing the right things. I think that ethical practices are even more important in businesses, if they want to be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In today's business world it is essential to have clear knowledge about ethics. The article that you stated provides very good information. I believe "Golden Rule" is very important for all businesses to keep good image in public's opinion.I think it is possible for a business to have good ethical practices without sacrificing anything because they can put their utmost effort to make the business a success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The article you have read seems very interesting. I have never heard of the “Four Way Test” but after reading your post I think it is a great test since it creates climate of trust. I think a business can have a good ethical practice without losing anything. My opinion is that if a business has good ethics more business will come to them which will drive them to success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked your article about the Golden Rule. I have heard about the golden rule before and the ethical motive behind it but in the religious context. Either way the golden rule is definitely a successful method to enhance the business conduct. I believe that every business must be able to have an ethical practice without losing or sacrificing anything in return. Companies that are unable to do as such should do serious revisions to their corporate strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time that I’ve ever heard about the golden rule. The “four way test” seems to be a very useful trust tool that I can use everyday and in any situation. I believe it could help businesses to make good ethical decisions.

    ReplyDelete